Our Mission: Teach every student with kindness, equity, and empathy.
Our Vision: Educational justice for all.
Sacajawea Community News
September 14th, 2023
A MESSAGE FROM OUR PRINCIPAL
Hello Sacajawea Families,
Please join us for Curriculum Night on the evening of September 28th from 6:30 to 7:15. Curriculum Night is an opportunity to learn more about the curriculum being taught by our teachers as well as a window into the school day and all the exciting activities taking place at Sacajawea. Grades Pre-K through 2 will be presenting from 6:30 to 6:45 in their classrooms. We will then have a short interlude in the cafeteria for a round of teacher introductions. Grades 3 through 5 will follow with their classroom presentations from 7:00 to 7:15. Please note that we are not providing child care for this event. We understand that some families may need to bring their children in order to attend, we just ask that you be responsible for supervising them. IslandWood Parent Orientation for Fourth and Fifth Grade families will be held at 7:30 in room 103.
This Monday September 18th will feature our first morning assembly. Assemblies are when we do our land and labor acknowledgement, perform our school song, and share various updates and information from the community, classrooms, and Student Council, throughout the year. It is also a chance to see great performances from our talented students in a feature we call Shining Stars. We will start promptly at 8:05 every Monday morning. We look forward to seeing you there.
Top Items & Upcoming Events
- School Directory and PTA Membership. Our printed Sac directory helps you connect with other families for parties, play dates, and more. Plus, join the PTA at the same time to make your voice heard. Submit your details by Sept 22, and be entered to win one of two $50 gift cards! Questions? Email Tiffany and Jenna at email@example.com.
- PTA Meeting Feedback Request. Thanks to everyone who attended our first PTA Meeting this week. We’d love to hear your feedback to help us improve our next hybrid meeting.
- CANSSPA Fall Picnic is Sept 23rd. The Central and North Seattle Schools Parent Alliance would love to see you at their fall picnic on Sep 23, 12-2pm at Volunteer Park. More info on their flyer. Questions? Email Megan Callow (Sac parent) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteers Make Things Happen at Sacajawea. We Need You! So many wonderful things happen at our school because of our dedicated group of parents, grandparents and community members. We have various PTA committees, school needs and event help to fit any schedule. Detailed descriptions are on our PTA volunteering page.
- Hello Sacajawea Families,
My name is Susie Bunker and I will be teaching Physical Education in the gym this year. I am so excited to meet all the students over the next few days.
I live in Northeast Seattle with my family and love getting outside. Walking, biking, swimming, and picking blackberries are a few of my favorite ways to spend time in the summer.
As we all get to know each other, I’d love it if you wanted to share a photo of your kids, and/or families, participating in your favorite outdoor activities that we can add to our PE bulletin board. Pictures of your summer fun could inspire someone else to try something new or make a connection.
Just send me the digital photo, and I’ll take care of the printing.
I’ll be keeping in touch through Principal Fisk’s newsletter, but feel free to reach out if you have any questions for me.
We have a number of featured volunteer opportunities that we could use your help to fill!
1. 3-5 Grade BLT (Building Leadership Team) Rep – Participate in bi-weekly or monthly (if alternating with K-2 Rep) meetings. Members of the BLT represent various stakeholders in our school community. Each member stays on the BLT for two years. Their responsibilities are to help with decision making around budget, our Continuous School Improvement Plan, and Professional Development.
2. Walk to School Day Lead – Lead Sacajawea’s participation in this national event! Confirm established walk to school routes and leaders, promote and publicize event. A fun and quick event that happens from about 7:15 – 8 a.m. on Oct. 4th, 2023.
3. Lunch and Recess Support – A fun glimpse into the daily life of your student! Help with lunchroom and playground supervision 11 a.m. – 12:05 p.m. Once a week, once a month or whenever you are able.
Please note: on-campus volunteers and field trip chaperones will need a background check. Apply or update your volunteer profile on the SPS Volunteering page.
If you have any questions or are interested, please contact Volunteer Coordinator, Charlene Shanahan email@example.com.