Our Mission: Teach every student with kindness, equity, and empathy.
Our Vision: Educational justice for all.
Sacajawea Community News
April 20th, 2023
A message from our Principal
Hello Sacajawea families,
I hope everyone had a wonderful week of spring break. I spent a wonderful three- day weekend in Port Townsend in a cabin overlooking Discovery Bay. My wife Julia and I enjoyed walking on the beach while doing some bird watching. We even got to commiserate with some seals who were very curious about our presence. So cute!
I am pleased to announce that with the support of both our amazing staff and supportive community we will be able to fund a full week of kindergarten Jump Start. Jump Start will run from August 21 through August 25.
Seattle Parks and Recreation is excited to announce a new pilot program, Swim Seattle. Seattle Swim aims to provide effective swim instruction to youth of color. You are invited to a kick-off press conference Saturday, April 22, 2023, 9:30am -11 am @ Rainier Beach Community Center and Pool
8825 Rainier Ave South, Seattle, WA 98118. No registration required.
In partnership, Barry Fisk
Principal, Sacajawea Elementary
Top Items & Upcoming Events
- Earth Day Neighborhood Clean-up, April 21st after school. Celebrate Earth Day with the Sacajawea PTA! Please join us for an hour of fun helping to clean up litter on our playground and the streets surrounding our school. Safety vests, gloves, trash grabbers, garbage bags, and other tools will be provided. This is a community event both off and on campus, so adults, please stay to supervise your children. We will meet on the upper playground right after school.
- RSVP For Sacajawea’s Community Celebration. On April 28th from 5pm – 7pm, the PTA is hosting this year’s family-friendly event at school, including a complimentary dinner, dessert auction, punch-board prize game, and online auction to raise funds for our school. Please RSVP for the Community Celebration to help us plan.
- Volunteers & dessert donations needed for our Community Celebration. Can you help make our event a success by donating a dessert for our event or volunteering to help run/setup/cleanup? Please fill out our volunteer for the community celebration signup form as soon as possible. Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Clothes needed for our nurse’s office. We’re requesting donations of boys/girls sweatpants and underwear for K-3rd grade students. Lightly-used sweatpants are ok. New for underwear, please. Thanks for anything you can send.
- Calling all Event Planners: NESSPA Field Day! June 10th. Are you interested in fundsharing, collective advocacy, and school equity? Do you have a flair for event organizing? Then please join in our effort to plan for the North End Seattle Schools PTA Alliance (NESSPA) Field Day on June 10th! If you are interested in supporting the planning or learning more about the NESSPA mission, please reach out to Megan Callow at email@example.com.
- Traffic Safety Survey, 94th and 17th Ave NE. We want to improve the safety of this intersection by requesting improvements from Safe Routes to School. Please help us by providing your input for our Traffic Safety Survey by April 24th.
- Parent Racial Equity Team Newsletter for April. In this month’s edition, we center the contributions of Black writers and artists who embody the March and April guiding principles of Black Lives Matter at School: Loving Engagement, Empathy, and Intergenerational Black Arts. Read the Parent Racial Equity Team newsletter on the PTA website.
- Pokemon Training After-School Club. Hosted at Sacajawea by the Math n’ Stuff team, this after-school Pokémon class teaches the basic rules of the Pokémon Trading Card Game! The club runs Wednesdays May 1 – June 19 for interested 2nd – 5th graders. Cost: $185 (scholarships available through PTA). Details and registration for Pokemon Training, After-School Club online via 6crickets.
- Parent volunteer needed for Pokemon Training Club. Looking for an engaged parent volunteer to help at the Pokemon Training Club – Wednesdays 1:15-2:45 pm. Math ‘n’ Stuff will give the parent volunteer’s student free tuition if chosen! Contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Charlene Shanahan at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.