Sacajawea Community News
Our Mission: Teach every student with kindness, equity, and empathy.
Our Vision: Educational justice for all.
Sacajawea Community News
January 12th, 2022
Top Items & Upcoming Events
- Martin Luther King Jr. March on Jan 16th at noon at the Garfield Community Center Playground! Join other Sacajawea students, families, and Racial Equity Team members at this fun, family-friendly event and low-barrier introduction to social justice action.
- Kindergarten Tours – Do you know any incoming Kindergarten families? Please let them know when our upcoming tours are (1/31 and 2/6) We’re also looking for a few 4th/5th Grade students to attend the virtual Teams Kindergarten Tour as Sac. ambassadors and to answer any questions from a student perspective. Please email Ms. Charlene if you are available! Cyshanahan@seattleschools.org
- Virtual Tuesday, January 31st 6:30-7:30pm.
- In-person campus and Q&A Monday, February 6th at 8:30-9:30 a.m.. RSVP to Charlene Shanahan.
- Jane Addams Middle School Open House JAMS will be hosting a prospective student event on Feb 15th from 6:30pm-8pm. Future families and students are invited to come and learn more about the JAMS community! We will gather in the auditorium for a brief introduction about the school from Principal Montgomery and then families and students will have the opportunity to learn more about our school.
- Winter Art Collection on Mr. Ryan’s Corner. Come see the delightful, winter-themed artwork that Sac students created with Mr. Ryan just before winter break.
- Volunteers and chaperones no longer need to show proof of vaccination to help at school. Many teachers are planning field trips and will be looking for chaperones. Please be sure to submit a volunteer application online or update a previous application. Questions? Contact Volunteer Coordinator, Charlene Shanahan firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Volunteer Opportunities (visit Sac PTA site for detailed descriptions).
- Lunch and Recess Support on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 11 a.m. – 12:05 p.m.
- Sacajawea Eagles Coaches (ultimate frisbee) – Spring sport needs coaches to further the tradition of Sportpersonship and the Spirit of the Game!
- Girls on the Run Looking for Sacajawea Coaches. Girls on the Run is an afterschool program like no other! The team meets twice per week for 10 weeks to help girls feel good about themselves…inside and out!! Season Dates: March 13- May 22, 2023 and the Sacajawea team meets Mondays and Wednesdays after school. Please contact Charlene Shanahan email@example.com if interested.
- PTA Voluneer Opportunities
- Grants Writing Team Members
- Events Co-Lead
A Note from the Principal
Hello Sacajawea families,
Kindergarten has started the Science Unit called Pushes and Pulls. Students are excited to begin their work as engineers building a pinball machine and investigating what makes an object start to move.
On Tuesday our second and third grade classes had a great time going on a field trip to Garfield High School’s Quincy Jones Performing Arts Center to see Camp Stowaways by Tracy Poverstein. This coming of age play was performed by Garfield High School’s Play Production class. Next up will be a trip to Seattle Children’s Theatre in April to see The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
Ms. Singh joined our last Student Advisory Council meeting to share details about the new Library Leaders program. Here they learned that student Library Leaders will meet on Wednesdays during lunch and what their goals will be. These goals include helping to decide which books to face out on the library shelves, sharing book blurbs with fellow students, generating ideas about which genre to organize books in, and assisting in weeding out books that are outdated or not of interest to students.